Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Done that then.

The Faeman Girl is finished! A smidge under 91,000 words emailed to my agent yesterday and scheduled for publication by Bloomsbury next autumn. Bloomsbury U.S. are already working on the cover, which they want to have a strong family resemblance to the first four of the Faerie Wars books. Actually the first four, Faerie Wars, The Purple Emperor, Ruler of the Realm and Faerie Lord are really a single story stretched across four volumes while Faeman (the term denotes a faerie/human hybrid) is a stand-alone book set in the Faerie Realm about sixteen years after the time of Faerie Lord. But there are still some familiar faces in Faeman including Blue and Henry, Madame Cardui, Chalkhill and Brimstone and an important bit of Lord Hairstreak. Can't wait to see it in print.

9 comments:

Davey Stone said...

Wooohooo! Congratulations on finishing it!

Herbie Brennan said...

Thanks, Davey. It's a great feeling as you know (sort of worried relief). I gather from our mutual friend your Gladiator series is going well.

Josiane said...

Wow! I don't have any words for this! Thanks you a lot ! I am a big fan of your books and Faerie Wars' Universe is The best! Why Faeman Girl cannot be published in January or February?

Congratulation and I'm very excited to read it!

(Well, I'm a French Canadian, but I would read the Faeman Girl in english if in french is not published before) =D (Quebec City)

That prove that I'm very excited! =D

Herbie Brennan said...

Be nice to see it sooner, Josiane, but I think I'm lucky to have it scheduled for autumn: it usually takes at least a year from finished manuscript to published book. I expect there will be a French edition, but that will probably take even longer. Hope you find it all worth the wait.

Aaron said...

Congrats Herbie! I cannot wait to read it.

Walid Hasan said...

So this book at 91,000 words would be around 300 pages? (Just a bit curious) Thanks

Herbie Brennan said...

Bit more than that, I'd imagine, Walid, but final page count depends on what type size and face the publisher picks, plus the way the book's laid out. I'm lucky if I can judge it in advance to within a hundred pages.

Megan G. said...

I am sooo excited for the faeman girl to be published!!!
I am a HUGE fan of your series, Faerie Wars, because I started reading the series in 4th grade and immediately was hooked! I recently recieved Faerie Lord as a gift from my parents for Easter and am almost finished. I guess I just must say thank you for writing these books because they have made me want to read (I used to hate reading).

Herbie Brennan said...

Glad you’ve enjoyed the series, Megan. Faeman Girl is now coming out as Faeman Quest (my publisher says boys won’t buy books with ‘girl’ in the title: how things have changed since I was a teen,) We may both have to wait longer than I’d like for publication: there’s talk of moving it from autumn this year to January next. My agent and I are fighting to get them to stick to the earlier date.